Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi

Follow VSB '09 alum Paul Parisi as he starts his international financial career in Asia

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Old Friends and Great Times

These past weeks in London have been amazing but exhausting. Maintaining my Hong Kong working hours has given me the opportunity to experience London during the day, allowing me to visit museums, historical sights and art galleries that I had missed on my previous visits. I’ve had the chance to meet up with lots of friends from Villanova, too, which has been a real treat. But I hardly ever find the time to get a good night's sleep... or rather a good day's sleep.


Our London office

Since I work from midnight until 10am, I have most of the day free. Luckily the weather has been mostly bright and sunny since my arrival. Surprising for London, but definitely welcome!

I am staying in my U.K. boss Neil's apartment in a part of town called Limehouse. It's not far from the office, and as Neil usually stays in his country house in Surrey, I have the place mostly to myself. It’s up to me how I want to arrange my schedule after work: sometimes I go right to the apartment and sleep, then go out in the mid-afternoon, and then head to work around midnight; other times I head out immediately after work, meet a friend for lunch, and then head back to the apartment to sleep, waking up around 11pm to get to work on time; still, other days I push myself really hard—I head out right after work and keep going until I have to be back again! There is usually a penalty for this last option: I am so exhausted that I have no choice but to catch up on missed sleep for the entire next day.


Limehouse, the area where I'm staying


Living room of my boss' apartment

When I first got here, I made a list of all the things I wanted to do while in London—a hodgepodge of old favorites (like the Tower of London), things I’d always wanted to do but never gotten around to in the past (like the Charles Dickens House) and several attractions I’d never heard of before but somehow found out about during this trip (like the Saatchi Gallery). Slowly I have been crossing the items off that list, and it has been wonderful.

Yesterday was a particularly busy day. After work I headed to the Courtauld Gallery in Somerset House, then went to Temple Church (of DaVinci Code fame) and next took a tour of the Benjamin Franklin House. I barely had time to get back to my apartment to change for a Villanova “Alumni in London” reception that evening, after which I came straight to work!


Effigies of Knights in Temple Church


Main Altar of Temple Church

The Villanova event was a definite high point of my time out here so far. When I first walked into the reception, I saw several Villanova staff members who I had gotten to know throughout my time at school, and it was great to catch up with them and hear about the exciting developments taking place on campus. I was also introduced to the twenty-two VSB freshmen participating in the Global Citizens Program this semester, and it was so nice to talk with them about the program, hear about their internships and answer their questions about my own experience.

There was also a fair amount of other alumni in attendance, ranging from recent graduates like myself to established professionals who have been living out here for many years. Even an old friend of mine showed up, Clint, who I had completely forgotten was working in London. It was a long but fantastic day. Of course, I’ll be going right to sleep after work ends, but it was definitely worth it!

This past weekend was pretty exhausting as well! My friend Shannon, another VSB ’09 graduate, came to visit me. Shannon works for Deutsche Bank, and she is currently doing a three month international rotation in Geneva, Switzerland. Another passionate London lover, Shannon had her fair share of favorite sights and pubs she wanted to revisit. (In fact, Shannon did the same summer study abroad program in London that I did, except one year after me.) It was great hearing about her Swiss experience, and it’s always good to catch up with an old friend.

Shannon and I paid a visit to the old dorm where we both stayed when we studied in London

I’ve actually had the chance to meet up with quite a few old friends since I arrived. On my first Sunday, I spent the day market-hopping around East London with my friend Allie, a current Villanova junior who is studying abroad here. I can’t remember the last time I ate so much, but everything was delicious and it was a great day.

On Friday I met my friend Wemi, another VSB ’09 alum, for dinner near Bond Street. Wemi is preparing for the major ACCA exam, a comprehensive and grueling series of 14 accounting tests taken over three years! Her family has an apartment in London, so she is taking courses at Kaplan to get ready. Wemi is hilarious and an absolute delight to spend time with, so I’ve loved meeting her for lunches and dinners over the past weeks.

The biggest surprise visit came my second weekend, when Facebook informed me that my friend Laura, studying in Prague, had booked a last-minute flight to London for three days! She sent me a message, and we met up in the Tate Modern, an art museum on the South Bank of the Thames. Laura transferred from Villanova, somewhat reluctantly, midway through her sophomore year, after gaining admission to a prestigious nutritional health program at the Steinhardt School at NYU. Since then, I had only seen her a handful of times in New York, so a reunion in London was most welcome.


Laura and me in Trafalgar Square

Laura's final day in London happened to be the Sunday before St. Patrick's Day, and there was a big parade through town, ending at Trafalgar Square. Following the parade, there were concerts and other activities going on, so of course it turned into a big outdoor party! Since all of London seemed to be there, it's no surprise that I got to meet a few other 'Nova juniors studying abroad in London who wanted to catch up with Laura.

.
St. Patrick's Day Parade near Trafalgar Square

I've even met up with my old Villanova roommate's sister Kirsten, who also happens to be studying here this semester. Her brother Shea and I were in the same orientation group back at 'Nova, and eventually wound up being junior year roomies. He's still one of my best friends, and he put me in touch with Kirsten when I told him I'd be in town. She seems to be having an incredible experience, and I loved hearing all her stories.

I can’t believe so many ‘Nova connections have come together across the Pond! There just seems to be a constant flow of current students and alumni passing through this town, which, sadly for me, is not the case in Hong Kong. The combination of old friends, a great experience in the office and the brilliant sights and attractions of London have made the first two weeks of my UK stint an unforgettable experience. I am definitely looking forward to the one week I have left. Hopefully it will be just as memorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment